Dr. Hanadi F. Sleiman
Hanadi Sleiman is a Professor of Chemistry and Canada Research Chair in DNA Nanoscience at McGill University. She received her Ph.D. from Stanford University, and was a CNRS postdoctoral fellow in Prof. Jean-Marie Lehn’s laboratory at the Université Louis Pasteur. She joined the faculty at McGill University in 1999, where her research group focuses on using the molecule DNA as a template to assemble nanostructured materials.
Sleiman is Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada (2016), Associate Editor of J. Am. Chem. Soc., and Editorial Advisory Board member of J. Am. Chem. Soc., Chem., J. Org. Chem., and ChemBioChem.
Among her research recognitions are the NSERC Polanyi Award (2021), Cottrell STAR Award (2021), Albus Award (Grifols, 2018), Killam Research Fellowship (2018), Canadian Society of Chemistry R. U. Lemieux Award (2018), Netherlands Scholar Award in Supramolecular Chemistry (2018), Izatt-Christensen Award in Supramolecular Chemistry (2016), Swiss Chemical Society Lectureship (2012), Canadian Institute of Chemistry E. Gordon Young Award (2011), Canadian Society for Chemistry Strem Award (2009), NSERC Discovery Accelerator (2008), McGill Dawson Award (2004-13), Fellow of the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (2004-12) and Cottrell Scholar (Research Corp., 2002).
Sleiman received the McGill Principal’s Prize (2002) and the Leo Yaffe Award (2005) for Excellence in Teaching.
Universite Louis Pasteur, Postdoctoral research, 1994-96, Supramolecular Chem., France (with Jean-Marie Lehn, Nobel Prize 1987)
Stanford University, Ph. D., 1985-90, Organic Chemistry, CA, USA (with Lisa McElwee-White)
American University of Beirut, Lebanon, B.Sc. with High Distinction, 1982-85, Chemistry
Tenure Track Positions
McGill University: Canada Research Chair 2012-present
(Tier I in DNA Nanoscience)
McGill University: Professor 2011-present
McGill University: William Dawson Scholar 2004-2012
McGill University: Associate Professor 2005-2011
McGill University: Assistant Professor 1998-2003
Honours, Awards and Distinctions
2021 NSERC John C. Polanyi Award 2021 (one of the two highest awards given by NSERC for Science and Engineering in Canada)
2020 Cottrell STAR Award for excellence in research and teaching, Research Corporation, USA
2019 President, International Society for Nanoscale Science, Computation and Engineering (ISNSCE, major DNA Nanotechnology society worldwide, 2019-21)
2019 Director, NSERC CREATE graduate training program in Nucleic Acids (2019-2025)
2018 Albus Award, Grifols Corporation
2018 Killam Research Fellowship, Canada Council for the Arts
2018 R. U. Lemieux Award in Organic Chemistry, Canadian Society for Chemistry
2018 Associate Editor, Journal of the American Chemical Society
2017 Netherlands Scholar Award in Supramolecular Chemistry
2016 Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada
2016 Izatt-Christensen Award in Macrocyclic and Supramolecular Chemistry
2013 Swiss Chemical Society Lectureship, Fall 2013, U. Genève, EPFL, U. Neuchâtel, U. Fribourg, U. Basel
2012 E. Gordon Young Lectureship Award, Chemical Institute of Canada
2009 Strem Award for Pure or Applied Inorganic Chemistry, Canadian Society for Chemistry
2009 McGill University, William Dawson Scholar Award– renewed for 5 years.
2009 Fellow, Canadian Institute of Advanced Research, Nanoelectronics Program
2008 NSERC Discovery Accelerator Supplement ($120,000, 2008-2011)
2005 McGill University, Faculty of Science, Leo Yaffe Award for excellence in teaching
2005 Associate Member, Canadian Institute of Advanced Research, Nanoelectronics Program
2004 McGill University, William Dawson Scholar Award for teaching excellence
2003 McGill University, Principal’s Prize for Excellence in Teaching (Assistant Professor Category)
2002 Research Corporation, Cottrell Scholar Award for excellence in research and teaching.
1993-94 Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, France, Postdoctoral Fellowship
2016 JACS Research Spotlight for “Optimized DNA “Nanosuitcases” for Encapsulation and Conditional Release of siRNA”
2016 Polymer Chemistry journal cover image for: , ‘ “DNA–Teflon” sequence-controlled polymers’
2016 Article in Nature Chemistry, ‘Reprogramming the assembly of unmodified DNA with a small molecule’, generated press in multiple news outlets, and is 97% on the altmetric score; see McGill coverage (From backyard pool chemical to nanomaterial) and http://www.nature.com/nchem/journal/v8/n4/nchem.2451/metrics
2016 Article in Nature Chemistry, ‘Transfer of molecular recognition information from DNA nanostructures to gold nanoparticles’, generated press in multiple news outlets, including Canadian Chemical News, and is 98% on the altmetric score; see McGill coverage (A ‘printing press’ for nanoparticles) and http://www.nature.com/nchem/journal/v8/n2/nchem.2420/metrics
2016 Article in Nature Communications, ‘Sequential growth of long DNA strands with user-defined patterns for nanostructures and scaffolds’, generated media coverage; see McGill coverage (A better way to build DNA scaffolds)
2015 Article in Nature Chemistry, ‘Stepwise growth of surface-grafted DNA nanotubes visualized at the single-molecule level’, was selected as the Journal Cover, and generated media coverage; see McGill coverage (Building tailor-made DNA nanotubes step by step)
2014 Manuscript in J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2014, selected as a JACS Research Spotlight.
2014 Manuscript in Angewandte Chemie, 2014, selected as ‘Very Important Paper’ and Journal Cover Page
2014 Highlight of our research in Chemistry World (Royal Society for Chemistry), ‘DNA cube programmed for an exclusive reveal’, April 2014
2013 Manuscript published in Nature Chemistry, 2013, top 10 in Altmetric Score, and generated press in a number of scientific media (McGill, Wired, Guardian, Canadian Chemical News, ACCN, Revue Decouverte)
2013 Manuscript published in J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2013, was nominated for the Faculty of 1000 Biology
2012 Highlight of our research in Chemistry World (Royal Society for Chemistry), ‘DNA Motors On’, Jan. 2012
2012 TV Documentary about our DNA research on TeleQuebec (Code Chastenay, Ep. #100, Feb 7, 2012)
2011 Article on our research for Canadian Chemical News (ACCN) in celebration of the International Year of Chemistry 2011
2010 Manuscript published in Nature Chemistry, 2010, 2, 319, was selected for Faculty of 1000 Biology, and received research highlights in Chemistry World (Royal Society for Chemistry), Nano Today (Elsevier), Quebec Science, and popular media (Rutherford radio show, Asharq Awsat newspaper and various web science media).
2010 Editor’s Choice in Science Magazine, “Stringing DNA Along”, 2010, 327 (Febr. 12 issue)
2009 Manuscript “Templated Ligand Environments for the Selective Incorporation of Different Metals into DNA” selected for the cover page of the journal “Angewandte Chemie”
2009 Research Highlight in Nature Chemistry “Form Leading to Function” 2009, 1, 524.
2009 “News and Views” article on our work in Nature Chemistry, “Coordinating Corners”, 2009, 1, 339.
2009 Editor’s Choice in SYNFACTS for article in J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2009, 131, 4182 (written by Tim Swager)
2009 Editor’s Choice in the journal “Nature Chemistry”, “Conjugated Polymers: Template Trickery”
2009 Manuscript published in Nature Nanotechnology, 2009, 4, 349-352, generated press coverage in a number of scientific and popular media (McGill, Biofutur, NextBio, NextBigFuture, Foresight Institute, etc.)
2009 Interviews in the magazine “The Scientist” and the web magazine “Wired”
2008 Research Highlight in “Materials Today”, “Molecular Materials Using DNA” (Nov. 2008)
2008 Manuscript selected for the cover page of the journal “Angewandte Chemie”
2008 Research Highlight in the journal “Nature Materials”, “Unnatural Life” (Feb. 2008)
2007 Editor’s Choice in the journal “Nature” , “Gene Boxes” (Dec. 2007)
2007 Research Highlight in the journal “ACS NANO”, “Inspiration from Nature” (Dec. 2007)
2007 Editor’s Choice in the journal “Nature Nanotechnology”: “Gold Nanoparticles: DNA Builds Bridges” (Nov. 2007)
2006 Manuscript selected by Angewandte Chemie as “Hot Paper” and for cover page (Feb. 2006
Selected Invited Lectures:
- 7th Cambridge Symposium on Nucleic Acids Chemistry and Biology, Cambridge, UK, 3-6 September 2017
- Gordon Research Conference on “Self-Assembly & Supramolecular Chemistry”, May 21–26 2017, Les Diablerets, Switzerland
- International Symposium on Visionary Trends in Molecular Science, 24th – 26th of February 2017, Tianjin University, China
- Arizona State University, Department of Chemistry, January 2017
- Purdue University, Department of Chemistry, November 2016
- Vermont, Humphrey Symposium (Keynote), October 14-15 2016
- MIT, 2016-2017 Bristol-Myers Squibb Lecturer in Organic Chemistry, September 22, 2016
- UC Berkeley, September 13, 2016
- XXII International Roundtable on Nucleosides, Nucleotides and Nucleic Acids (IRT 2016), Paris, July 18-22, 2016. (Plenary lecture)
- International Symposium in Supramolecular and Macrocyclic Chemistry, Seoul, South Korea, July 2016; Izatt-Christensen Award Lecture.
- Pacifichem 2015 (ACS), Honolulu, Hawaii, (2 invited), December 2015
- International Institute for Nanotechnology (IIN) Symposium, Northwestern University, Oct. 2015. (Plenary lecture)
- International Symposium in Supramolecular and Macrocyclic Chemistry, Strasbourg, June 28th – July 2nd, 2015
- 12th International Conference on Materials Chemistry (Plenary Lecture, MC12), 20-23 July 2015, University of York, UK
- Oligonucleotide Therapeutics Society Conference, Oct. 12-15, 2014, San Diego, USA.
- 7th International Conference on Molecular Electronics, Strasbourg, France, Aug. 2014 (plenary)
- 2014 Gordon Research Conference on Bioinspired Materials June 2014, Maine, USA.
- 16th Symposium on Chemistry of Nucleic Acid Components, Czech Republic, June 2014
- 2014 Canadian Society for Chemistry Meeting, May 2014, Vancouver, BC.
- American Chemical Society Meeting, (“Inorganic Supramolecular Chemistry” symposium), March 2014, Dallas.
- Universite de Montreal, Chemistry Dept., Jan. 22, 2014
- Swiss Chemical Society Lecture Tour, Genève, EPFL (Lausanne), U. Neuchâtel, U. Fribourg, U. Basel, October 2013.
- 19thInternational Conference on DNA Computing and Molecular Programming, Sept. 2013, Tempe, Arizona.
- American Chemical Society Meeting, Sept. 2013, Indianapolis. (symposium “Sequence-Controlled Polymerization”)
- National Organic Symposium, Seattle, June 2013
- Canadian Society for Chemistry Meeting, Quebec City, May 2013
- American Association for the Advancement of Science Meeting, Boston, February 2013
- 1st Herrenhauser Conference, “Downscaling Science”, Hanover, Germany, December 2012
- New York University, Chem. Dept, Nov. 2012
- Young Award Lectureship Tour, U. Toronto, Ryerson U. and Public Lecture, Oct. 2012
- AVS 59th Annual International Symposium , Tampa, Florida, October 2012
- 4th European Chemical Societies (EuCheMS) Congress, Prague (Czech Republic), August 2012
- Controlled Release Society Meeting, Quebec City, 2012
- 12th Eurasia Conference on Chemical Sciences (EuAsC2S-12), Corfu, Greece, April 2012 (2 invited talks)
- ACS Meeting, San Diego, March 2012.
- Keynote, International Symposium in Supramolecular Chemistry ISMSC, New Zealand, Jan. 2012
- IUPAC Meeting, Polymers in Organic Chemistry, Doha, Qatar, Jan. 2012.
- Plenary, 6th International Symposium on Advancing the Chemical Sciences on Challenges in Organic Materials and Supramolecular Chemistry (ISACS, Organized by the Royal Society of Chemistry, Sept. 2-5, 2011, Peking U., Beijing, China)
- Keynote, International Symposium in Supramolecular Chemistry ISMSC, Brighton, England, July 2011
- 46th EUCHEM Burgenstock Conference, Switzerland, May 2011
- Pennsylvania, Chem. Dept., April 2011
- Invited Talk at the company BioRad, San Francisco, April 2011
- Foundations of Nanoscience (FNANO) Conference, Special Symposium in Honor of Nadrian Seeman, April 2011, Snowbird, Utah.
- ACS Meeting, Anaheim, CA, March 2011
- Pacifichem 2010, Hawaii, December 2010 (2 invited lectures)
- California, San Diego, Chem. Dept., February 2011.
- Northwestern University, Chemistry Department, Nov. 2-4, 2010
- ETH Zurich, Chemistry Department, September 27, 2010.
- Brookhaven National Lab, New York, Fall 2010.
- Gordon Research Conference on Nanostructure Fabrication, Tilton, NH, July 2010
- Canadian Society for Chemistry Conference, Toronto ON, May 2010
- University of California, Santa Barbara, California Nanosystems Institute, May 14, 2010
- McMaster University, Chemistry Department, March 2010
- Houston, Chemistry Department, February 2010
- University of California Los Angeles, Chemistry Department, 2010
- QAFCO-TAMUQ Chemistry Conference, Doha, Qatar, Jan. 2010
- Sherbrooke University, Chemistry Department, Dec. 2009
- Yale University, Chemistry Department, October 1, 2009
- 13th IUPAC Conference on Polymers and Organic Chemistry (POC’09), Montreal, July 2009
- International Symposium in Supramolecular Chemistry ISMSC, Maastricht, Netherlands, June 2009
- Albany: the Conversation on Nucleic Acids, U. Albany, NY, June 2009
- Canadian Society for Chemistry Conference, Strem Award Lecture, Hamilton ON, May 2009
- DNA-based Nanotechnology Conference, Dresden, Germany, May 2009
- Dartmouth College, Chemistry Dept, Apr. 2009
- 14th Int. Symposium on Recent Advances in Drug Delivery Systems, Salt Lake City, UT, Feb. 2009
- University of Colorado, Boulder, Chemistry Dept, Jan. 2009
- QAFCO-TAMUQ Chemistry Conference, Doha, Qatar, Jan. 2009
- Queens University, Chemistry Dept, Kingston, Nov. 2008
- Universite de Quebec a Montreal, Chemistry Dept, Oct. 2008
- Center for Nanoscience CenS Conference, Venice, Italy, Sept. 2008
- Indiana University, Bloomington, Sept. 2008
- Telluride Workshop on Nucleic Acids, August 2008
- Tetrahedron Symposium, July 2008, Berkeley, California
- Junior Nanotechnology Network, June 2008, McGill Physics Department
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Chemistry Dept, May 2008
- Center for Self-Assembled Chemical Structures Annual Conference, May 2008, Montreal
- Foundations of Nanoscience, Keynote Lecture, April 2008, Snowbird, Utah.
- University of Ottawa, Chemistry Department, March 2008
- California Institute of Technology, Dept of Chemistry, February 2008
- University of Tokyo, Japan, December 2007
- Symposium of Chemistry of Coordination Space (ISCCS2007), Awaji, Japan, Dec. 2007
- Materials Research Society (MRS) Meeting, Boston, Nov. 2007
- Texas at Austin, Chemistry Dept, Sept. 2007
- American Chemical Society Meeting, Boston, Aug. 2007
- SPIE Conference, San Diego, Aug. 2007
- Canadian Society for Chemistry Meeting, Winnipeg, May 2007 (two invited talks)
- Canadian Institute of Advanced Research, Oct. 2006
- American Chemical Society Meeting, San Francisco, Sept. 2006
- International Symposium in Supramolecular Chemistry ISMSC, Victoria, BC, June 2006
- Canadian Society for Chemistry Meeting, Halifax, May 2006 (two invited talks)
- Xerox Research Center, February 2006
- Rensselear Polytechnic Institute, Materials Science Dept, Dec. 2005
- Simon Fraser U., Chemistry Dept, Nov. 2005
- of Victoria, Chemistry Dept, Nov. 2005
- University of British Columbia, Dept Chemistry, Nov. 2005
- Toronto, Dept Chemistry, Oct. 2005
- Canadian High Polymer Forum, August 2005
- Canadian Society for Chemistry Meeting, Saskatoon, May 2005
- Keynote Address, Int.Conf. Research Trends in Science and Techn., Beirut, Lebanon, March 2005
- Canadian Institute of Advanced Research, Vancouver, Nov. 2004
- ACFAS Meeting, Montreal, May 2004
- Organic and Bioorganic Workshop for Leading, Young Canadian Chemists, London, ON, May 2004
- of Alberta, Chemistry Dept, March 2004
- Carleton U., Chemistry Dept, Apr. 2003
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Chemistry Dept, Feb. 2003
- South Florida, Chemistry Dept, Jan. 2003
- Montreal, Chemistry Dept., Dec. 2002
- Laval, Chemistry Dept, Sept 2002
- Galileo Genomics, Montreal, QC, April 2002
- New Brunswick, Chemistry Dept, Feb. 2002
- Dalhousie U., Chemistry Dept, Feb. 2002
- State of New York at Albany, Chemistry Dept, Jan. 2002
- Keynote Address, Int. Conf on Research Trends in Science and Techn, March 2002, Beirut, Lebanon
- American Chemical Society Meeting, Pacifichem 2000, Honolulu, Hawai, December 2000
List of memberships:
Memberships in International and Canada-Wide Organizations
- Vice-President, International Society for Nanoscale Science, Computation and Engineering (major DNA nanotechnology society worldwide) 2017; will be president in 2019.
- Member, Selection Committee for Cram-Lehn-Perderson Prize, ISMSC, 2016-pres.
- Member, Selection Committee for Izatt-Christensen Award, ISMSC, 2016-pres.
- Co-chair, External Evaluation Committee for the Department of Chemistry, Dalhousie University, 2014
- Member, Advisory Committee, Qatar Foundation Science Strategy: Advised the Qatar Foundation on its National Science Strategy, Creation of Qatar Institutes and relations with Arab Expatriate Scientist Community. (2010-13)
- Editorial Board Member, Bioconjugate Chemistry (2014-2016)
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of the American Chemical Society (2011-present)
- Editorial Board Member, ChemBioChem (2010-present)
- Editorial Board Member, Bioinorganic Chemistry and Applications (2008-2010)
- Member, College of Reviewers for the Canada Foundation for Innovation
- Member, College of Reviewers for the Natural Science and Engineering Council (NSERC) of Canada Special Opportunities Grant (NSERC is the Canadian equivalent to NSF and to the QNRF)
- Grant Evaluation Panel Member, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), 2010
Memberships in McGill-Based Committees
- Member, Advisory Committee for the Selection of a Dean of the Faculty of Engineering, 2012
- Member, University Tenure Committee for the Faculty of Religious Studies, 2010.
- Provost’s Delegate to the Senate Committee for Teaching and Learning, McGill University
- Senate Representative on the University Tenure Committee, Faculty of Medicine, McGill University
- Member, McGill’s Association of University Teachers (MAUT) Council, McGill University
- Chair, National and International Awards Committee, Department of Chemistry, McGill University
- Member, Planning and Priorities Committtee, Department of Chemistry, McGill University
- Bousmail, L. Amrein, J. J. Fakhoury, H. H. Fakih, J. C.C. Hsu, L. Panasci, H. F. Sleiman, “Precision Spherical Nucleic Acids for Delivery of Anticancer Drugs”, Chem. Sci. 2017, ASAP.
- Lacroix, T. G. W. Edwardson, M. D. Dore, M. A. Hancock, H. F. Sleiman, “Development of DNA nanostructures for high affinity binding to human serum albumin”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, ASAP.
- Conway, H. Sleiman, Supramolecular DNA Nanotechnology, in Comprehensive Supramolecular Chemistry II, Elsevier, 2017
- E. Bujold, J. C. C. Hsu and H. F. Sleiman; Optimized DNA “Nanosuitcases” for Encapsulation and Conditional Release of siRNA, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2016, 138, 14030–14038. JACS Research Spotlight.
- Optimized DNA “Nanosuitcases” for Encapsulation and Conditional Release of siRNA, K. E. Bujold, J. C. C. Hsu and H. F. Sleiman, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2016, 138, 14030–14038, JACS Spotlight.
- T. Trinh, P. Chidchob, H. S. Bazzi, H. F. Sleiman, ‘DNA micelles as nanoreactors: efficient DNA functionalization with hydrophobic organic molecules’, Chem. Commun., 2016, 52, 10914-10917
- “DNA–Teflon” sequence-controlled polymers, D. de Rochambeau, M. Barłóg, T. G. W. Edwardson, J. J. Fakhoury, R. S. Stein, H. S. Bazzi, H. F. Sleiman, ’, Polym. Chem., 2016,7, 4998-5003 Journal Cover Image.
- Minimalist Approach to Complexity: Templating the Assembly of DNA Tile Structures with Sequentially Grown Input Strands, K. L. Lau and H. F. Sleiman, ACS Nano, 2016, 10, 6542–6551.
- Synergy of Two Assembly Languages in DNA Nanostructures: Self-Assembly of Sequence-Defined Polymers on DNA Cages, P. Chidchob, T. W. Edwardson, C. J. Serpell, H. F. Sleiman, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2016, 138 (13), pp 4416–4425.
- Reprogramming the assembly of unmodified DNA with a small molecule, Nicole Avakyan, Andrea Greschner, Faisal Aldaye, Violeta Toader, Anne Petitjean, Hanadi Sleiman; Nature Chemistry, 2016, 8, 368-376.; Press coverage: “From backyard pool chemical to nanomaterial “
- Transfer of molecular recognition information from DNA nanostructures to gold nanoparticles
Thomas G. W. Edwardson, Kai Lin Lau, Danny Bousmail, Hanadi Sleiman; Nature Chemistry, 2016, 8,162–170; Press coverage: “A printing press for nanoparticles” McGill, see other sources.
- Dynamic DNA Nanotubes: Reversible Switching between Single and Double-Stranded Forms, and Effect of Base Deletions
Janane Rahbani, Amani Hariri, Gonzalo Cosa* and Hanadi Sleiman*
ACS Nano 2015, 9, pp 11898–11908.
- Antisense precision polymer micelles require less poly(ethylenimine) for efficient gene knockdown
Johans Fakhoury, Tom Edwardson, Justin Conway, Tuan Trinh, Farhad Khan, Maciej Barlog, Hassan Bazzi, Hanadi Sleiman
Nanoscale, 2015, 7, 20625-20634
- Cyclometalated Iridium(III) Imidazole Phenanthroline Complexes as Luminescent and Electrochemiluminescent G-Quadruplex DNA Binders
Katherine J. Castor , Kimberly L. Metera , Ushula M. Tefashe , Christopher J. Serpell , Janine Mauzeroll *, and Hanadi F. Sleiman *
Inorg. Chem., 2015, 54 (14), pp 6958–6967
- Sequential growth of long DNA strands with user-defined patterns for nanostructures and scaffolds
G. Hamblin, J. Rahbani, H. Sleiman,
Nature Commun., 2015, 6, Article number: 7065.
- Stepwise growth of surface-grafted DNA nanotubes visualized at the single molecule level
A. Hariri, G. D. Hamblin, H. F. Sleiman* and G. Cosa*
Nature Chem. 2015, 7, 295-300.
- Modulation of Charge Transport Across Double-Stranded DNA by the Site-Specific Incorporation of Copper Bis-Phenanthroline Complexes
Philippe Dauphin-Ducharme , Fiora Rosati , Andrea Greschner , A. Dowine De Bruijn , Danielle Salvatore , Violeta Toader , Kai Lin Lau , Janine Mauzeroll*, and Hanadi Sleiman*
Langmuir, 2015, 31 , 1850–1854
- J. Rahbani, A. Hariri, G. Cosa* and H. Sleiman* ‘Dynamic DNA Nanotubes: Reversible Switching between Single and Double-Stranded Forms, and Effect of Base Deletions’, ACS Nano 2015, Article ASAP, DOI: 10.1021/acsnano.5b04387
- J. Fakhoury, T. Edwardson, J. Conway, T. Trinh, F. Khan, M. Barlog, H. Bazzi, H. Sleiman, Antisense precision polymer micelles require less poly(ethylenimine) for efficient gene knockdown, Nanoscale, 2015, Advance Article, DOI: 10.1039/C5NR05157F
- K. Castor, K. Metera, U. Tefashe, C. Serpell, J. Mauzeroll, and H. Sleiman ‘Cyclometalated Iridium(III) Imidazole Phenanthroline Complexes as Luminescent and Electrochemiluminescent G-Quadruplex DNA Binders’ Inorg. Chem., 2015, Article ASAP, DOI: 10.1021/acs.inorgchem.5b00921
- Hamblin, J. Rahbani, H. Sleiman, ‘Sequential growth of long DNA strands with user-defined patterns for nanostructures and scaffolds’, Nat. Commun., 2015, doi:10.1038/ncomms8065.
- Hariri, G. D. Hamblin, H. F. Sleiman and G. Cosa, “Stepwise growth of surface-grafted DNA nanotubes visualized at the single molecule level”, Nature Chem. 2015, 7, 295-300.
- Rahbani, K. Metera, H. F. Sleiman ‘DNA-based metallosupramolecular materials’, in Functional Metallosupramolecular Materials, RSC, 2015 (in press).
- Greschner, F. Rosati, H. F. Sleiman ‘Synthetic Molecules as Guides for DNA Nanostructure Formation,’ in DNA in Supramolecular Chemistry and Nanotechnology, Wiley, 2015 (in press).
- Dauphin-Ducharme , F. Rosati , A. Greschner , A. D. De Bruijn , D. Salvatore, V. Toader , K. Lau, J. Mauzeroll, H. Sleiman, Langmuir, 2015, 31, 1850–1854.
- J. Serpell, T. Edwardson, P. Chidchob, K. Carneiro, H. Sleiman, ‘Precision Polymers and 3D DNA Nanostructures: Emergent Assemblies from New Parameter Space’, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2014, 136, 15767-15774, selected as JACS Spotlight.
- W. Conway, C. Madwar, T. G. Edwardson, C. K. McLaughlin, J. Fahkoury, R. B. Lennox, and H. F. Sleiman, ‘Dynamic Behavior of DNA Cages Anchored on Spherically Supported Lipid Bilayers’ J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2014, 136, 12987-12997.
- A. Greschner, K. E. Bujold, H. F. Sleiman, ‘Controlled Growth of DNA Structures From Repeating Units Using the Vernier Mechanism’Biomacromolecules 2014, 15, 3002-3008.
- E. Bujold, J. Fakhoury, T. G. W. Edwardson, K. M. M. Carneiro, J. N. Briard, A. G. Godin, L. Amrein, G. D. Hamblin, L. C. Panasci, P. W. Wiseman, H. Sleiman, “Sequence-Responsive Unzipping DNA Cubes with Tunable Cellular Uptake Profiles”, Chemical Science, 2014, 5, 2449-2455. Highlighted in Chemistry World (Royal Society for Chemistry), ‘DNA cube programmed for an exclusive reveal’, April 2014
- Huang, Y. C., Castor, K. J., Sleiman, H. F., Sen, D. Mechatronic DNA devices driven by a Gquadruplex-binding platinum ligand. Med. Chem. 2014, 22, 4376-83
- G.W. Edwardson, K. M.M. Carneiro, C. J. Serpell, H. F. Sleiman, “An Efficient and Modular Route to Sequence-Defined Polymers Appended to DNA”, Angew. Chem., 2014, ‘Very Important Paper’, Journal Cover Page, 53, 4567-71.
- J. Serpell, M. Barłóg, K. Basu, J. F. Fakhoury, H. S. Bazzi, H. F. Sleiman*, “Nucleobase Peptide Amphiphiles”, Mater. Horiz. (RSC),2014, 1, 348-354.
- J. Fakhoury, C. K. McLaughlin, T. W. Edwardson, J. W. Conway, H. F. Sleiman, “Development and Characterization of Gene Silencing DNA Cages”, Biomacromolecules, 2014, 15, 276-282.
- L. Lau, G. Hamblin, H. Sleiman, “Gold Nanoparticle 3D-DNA Building Blocks: High Purity Preparation and Use for Modular Access to Nanoparticle Assemblies”, Small, 2014, 10, 660-666.
- M. Tefashe, K. Metera, H. Sleiman*, J. Mauzeroll*, “Electrogenerated chemiluminescence of iridium-containing ROMP block copolymer and self-assembled micelles” Langmuir, 2013, 29, 12866-12873.
- J. Castor, Z. Liu, J. Fakhoury, M. A. Hancock, A. Mittermaier*, N. Moitessier*, H. F. Sleiman*, “A platinum(II) phenylphenanthroimidazole with an extended side-chain exhibits slow dissociation from a c-kit G-quadruplex motif”, Chem. Eur. J., 2013, 19, 17836–17845.
- Edwardson, C. McLaughlin, K. Carneiro, C. Serpell, H. F. Sleiman, “Dendritic Alkyl Chains on DNA Cages: A Geometry-Dependent Inter- or Intramolecular “Handshake” Nature Chem. 2013, 5, 868 – 875; highlighted in McGill, Wired, Guardian, Canadian Chemical News ACCN, and a number of other media; Nature Chem. Top 10 papers in 2013 in altmetric score (http://www.nature.com/nchem/journal/v5/n10/nchem.1745/metrics)
- Greschner, K. Bujold, H. F. Sleiman, “Intercalators as Molecular Chaperones in DNA Self-Assembly”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2013, 135, 11283–11288. Nominated by Faculty of 1000 Biology.
- Hamblin, K. Carneiro, H. Sleiman, “A Simple Design for DNA Nanotubes from a Minimal Set of Unmodified Strands: Rapid, Room Temperature Assembly and Readily Tunable Structure”, ACS Nano, 2013, 7, 3022-3028.
- Conway, C. K. McLaughlin, K. Castor, H. F. Sleiman, “DNA nanostructure serum stability: greater than the sum of its parts”, Chem. Commun., 2013, 49, 1172-1174 (invited in special issue: Nucleic Acids; New Life, New Materials)
- Carneiro, N. Avakyan, H. F. Sleiman*, WIRE Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnology: “Long-Range Assembly of DNA into Nanofibers and Organized Networks” , 2013, 5, 266-285.
- Greschner, V. Toader, H. F. Sleiman, “The Role of Organic Linkers in Directing DNA Self-Assembly and Significantly Stabilizing DNA Duplexes, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2012, 134, 14382–14389.
- Carneiro, G. Hamblin, H. Sleiman, “Stimuli-responsive organization of block copolymers on DNA nanotubes”, Chemical Science, 2012, 3, 1980-1986.
- K. McLaughlin, G. D. Hamblin, K. Haenni, J. W. Conway, M. K. Nayak, K. M.M. Carneiro, H. S. Bazzi, H. F. Sleiman, “Three-Dimensional Organization of Block Copolymers on ‘DNA-Minimal’ Scaffolds”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2012, 134, 4280–4286.
- D. Hamblin, K. M. M. Carneiro, J. Fakhoury, K. Bujold, H. F. Sleiman, “Rolling Circle Amplification-Templated DNA Nanotubes Show Increased Stability and Cell Penetration Ability”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2012, 134, 2888–2891.
- Castor, R. Kieltyka, P. Englebienne, J. Fakhoury, C. Autexier, N. Moitessier, H. F. Sleiman, “Platinum(II) phenanthroimidazoles for targeting telomeric G-quadruplexes”, ChemMedChem, 2012, 7, 85-94.
- Metera, K. Haenni, M. Nayak, H. S. Bazzi, H. F. Sleiman, “Luminescent Iridium(III)-Containing Block Copolymers: Self-Assembly into Biotin-Labeled Micelles for Biodetection Assays”, ACS Macro Letters, 2012, 1, 954-959.
- Carneiro, H. F. Sleiman; “Self-Assembly of Nucleic Acids”, invited review in: “Supramolecular Chemistry: From Molecules to Materials”, Wiley, March 2012.
- K. McLaughlin, G. Hamblin, H. F. Sleiman, “Supramolecular DNA Assembly”, Chem. Soc. Rev., invited review in special issue on DNA nanotechnology, 2011, 40, 5647-5656.
- K. McLaughlin, G. D. Hamblin, F. A. Aldaye, H. Yang, H. F. Sleiman, “A Facile, Modular and High Yield Method to Assemble Three-Dimensional DNA Structures”, Chem. Comm., 2011, 47, 8925-8927, Special Issue on Supramolecular Chemistry to mark the International Year of Chemistry.
- Yang, F. Altvater, A. D. de Brujin, C. K. McLaughlin, P. K. Lo, H. F. Sleiman, “Chiral four-arm metal-DNA junctions and metalated DNA nanotubes”, Angew. Chem., 2011, 50, 4620-4623.
- Yang, P. K. Lo, C. K. McLaughlin, G. Hamblin, H. F. Sleiman, “Self-Assembly of Metal-DNA Triangles and DNA Nanotubes with Synthetic Junctions”, invited contribution in “DNA Nanotechnology”, Methods in Molecular Biology Series, Springer, 2011, 33-49.
- K. Lo, F. Altvater, H. F. Sleiman, “Templated Synthesis of DNA Nanotubes with Controlled Predetermined Lengths”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2010, 132, 10212-10214.
- K. Lo, K. Metera, H. F. Sleiman; “Self-Assembly of Three-Dimensional DNA Nanostructures and Potential Biological Applications”, Curr. Opinion in Chemical Biology, invited review, 2010, 14, 597–607.
- K. Lo, P. Karam, F. Aldaye, G. Hamblin, G. Cosa, H. F. Sleiman, “Loading and Selective Release of Cargo in DNA Nanotubes with Longitudinal Variation”, Nature Chemistry 2010,2, 319-328.
- (selected for Faculty of 1000 Biology, research highlights in Chemistry World (Royal Society for Chemistry), Nano Today (Elsevier), Quebec Science, and popular media (Rutherford radio show, Asharq Awsat newspaper and various web science media)
- Wen, C. K. McLaughlin, P. K. Lo, H. Yang, H. F. Sleiman, “Stable Gold Nanoparticle Conjugation to Internal DNA Positions: Facile Generation of Discrete Gold Nanoparticle-DNA Assemblies”, Bioconj. Chem. 2010, 21, 1413-1416
- B. Sankaran, A. Rys, R. Nassif, M. K. Nayak, K. Metera, B. Chen, H. S. Bazzi, H. F. Sleiman, “Ring-Opening Metathesis Polymers for Biodetection and Signal Amplification: Synthesis and Self-Assembly”, Macromolecules, 2010, 43, 5530–5537.
- Yang, K. Metera, H. F. Sleiman, “DNA modified with metal complexes: applications in the construction of higher-order metal-DNA nanostructures”, invited review in Coord. Chem. Rev., special issue on “Molecular Electronics”, 2010, 254, 2403-2415.
- Carneiro, H. F. Sleiman, “Long-Range Assembly of DNA into Rigid Nanofibers and Highly Ordered Networks Using a Block Copolymer Approach”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 132, 679-685.
- (Editor’s Choice in Science Magazine, “Stringing DNA Along”, 2010, 327 (Febr. 12 issue))
- Yang, A. Rys, C. M. McLaughlin, H. F. Sleiman, “Templated Ligand Environments for the Selective Incorporation of Different Metals into DNA”, Angew. Chem. 2009, 48, 9919-9923 (journal cover page)
- Yang, C. McLaughlin, G. Hamblin, F. Aldaye, A. Rys, I. Rouiller, H. F. Sleiman; “Metal-Nucleic Acid Cages”, Nature Chemistry, 2009, 1, 390 (“News and Views” highlight in Nature Chemistry)
- A. Aldaye, P. K. Lo, P. Karam, G. Cosa, H. F. Sleiman; “Modular construction of DNA nanotubes with tunable geometry and single- or double-stranded character”, Nature Nanotechnology, 2009, 4, 349-352.
- K. Lo, H. F. Sleiman, “Nucleobase-Templated Polymerization: Copying the Chain Length and Polydispersity of Living Polymers into Conjugated Polymers” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2009, 131, 4182-4183. (Editor’s Choice in Nature Chemistry and in SYNFACTS)
- Kieltyka, H. F. Sleiman, “The use of transition metal complexes to target G-quadruplexes”, invited chapter “G-Quartet DNA”, Methods in Molecular Biology Series, Humana Press, 2009, 668, 223-255.
- E. Pierce, R. Kieltyka, H. F. Sleiman, J. S. Brodbelt, “Evaluation of Binding Selectivities and Affinities of Platinum-Based Quadruplex Interactive Complexes by Electrospray Ionization Mass Spectrometry”, Biopolymers, 2009, 91, 233-243.
- Ozturk, S. K. Hadjikakou, N. Hadjiliadis, N. Kourkoumelis, M. Kubicki, A. T. Tasiopoulos, H. Sleiman, M. M. Barsan, I. S. Butler and J. Balzarini, “New Antimony(III) Bromide Complexes with Thioamides: Synthesis, Characterization, and Cytostatic Properties”, Inorg. Chem., 2009, 48, 1811-1818.
- A. Aldaye, A. Palmer, H. F. Sleiman; “Assembling Materials with DNA as the Guide”, Science, invited review, 2008, 321, 1795-1799.
- Kieltyka, P. Englebienne, J. Fakhoury, C. Autexier, N. Moitessier, H. Sleiman; A Platinum Supramolecular Square as an Effective G-Quadruplex Binder and Telomerase Inhibitor”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2008, 130, 10040-10041.
- K. Lo, H. F. Sleiman, “Synthesis and Molecular Recognition Properties of DNA-Mimetic Conjugated Polymer”, Macromolecules, 2008, 41, 5590-5603.
- Yang, H. F. Sleiman, “Templated Synthesis of Highly Stable, Electroactive and Dynamic Metal-DNA Branched Junctions” , Angew. Chem., 2008, 47, 2443-2446 (journal cover page)
- Aldaye, H. F. Sleiman, “Modular Generation of Structurally Switchable 3D- DNA Assemblies”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2007, 13376-13377. (Editor’s Choice in Nature, Highlighted in Nature Materials and ACS NANO)
- Kieltyka, J. Fakhoury, N. Moitessier, H. F. Sleiman, “Platinum Phenanthroimidazole Complexes as G-Quadruplex DNA Selective Binders”, Chemistry, a European Journal, 2007, 14, 1145-1154
- Aldaye, H. F. Sleiman; “Guest-Mediated Access to a Single DNA Nanostructure from a Library of Multiple Assemblies”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2007, 129, 10070-10071.
- Aldaye, H. F. Sleiman; “Dynamic DNA Templates for Gold Nanoparticle Discrete Structures: Control of Geometry, Particle Identity, Write /Erase and Structural Switching”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2007, 129, 4130-4131. (Editor’s Choice in ‘Nature Nanotechnology’)
- Metera, H. F. Sleiman; “Luminescent Vesicles, Tubules, Bowls and Star Micelles from Ruthenium Bipyridine Block Copolymers”, Macromolecules, 2007, 40, 3733-3738.
- Slim, N. Durisic, P. Grutter, H. F. Sleiman; “DNA-Protein Non-Covalent Crosslinking: Ruthenium Dipyridophenazine Biotin Complex for the Assembly of Proteins and Gold Nanoparticles on DNA Templates”, ChemBioChem, 2007, 8, 804-812
- Ishihara, H. S. Bazzi, V. Toader, F. Godin, H. F. Sleiman; “Molecule-Responsive Block Copolymer Micelles”, Chemistry, a European Journal , 2007, 13, 4560-4570
- Rakotondradany, H. F. Sleiman, M. A. Whitehead, “Theoretical study of self-assembled hydrogen-bonded azodibenzoic acid tapes and rosettes”, J. Mol. Struct. Theochem, 2007, 806, 39-50.
- Aldaye, H. F. Sleiman; “Sequential Self-Assembly of a DNA Hexagon as a Template for the Organization of Gold Nanoparticles”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl., 2006, 45, 2204-2209.(‘ Hot Paper’ and journal cover page)
- Chen, H. F. Sleiman; “Biotin-Terminated Ruthenium Bipyridine ROMP Polymers: Synthesis and Self-Assembly with Streptavidin”, Macromolecules, 2005, 38, 1084-1090.
- Rakotondradany, A. Palmer, H. F. Sleiman; “Hydrogen-Bond Self-Assembly of DNA Analogues into a Hexameric Rosette”, Chem. Commun. 2005, 5441-5443
- Mitra, N. Di Cesare, H. F. Sleiman; “Self-Assembly of Cyclic Metal-DNA Nanostructures Using Ruthenium Bipyridine Branched Oligonucleotides”, Angew. Chem. 2004, 43, 5804-5808.
- Slim, H. F. Sleiman; “Ruthenium(II) Phenanthroline-Biotin Complexes: Synthesis and Luminescence Enhancement upon Binding to Avidin”, Bioconjugate Chem., 2004, 15, 949-953.
- Chen, H. F. Sleiman; “Ruthenium Bipyridine-Containing Polymers and Block Copolymers via Ring-Opening Metathesis Polymerization”, Macromolecules, 2004, 37, 5866-5872.
- Rezvani, H. S. Bazzi, B. Chen, F. Rakotondradany, H. F. Sleiman; “Ruthenium(II) Dipyridoquinoxaline-Norbornene: Synthesis, Properties, Crystal Structure, and Use as ROMP Monomer”, Inorg. Chem., 2004, 43, 5112-5119.
- S. Bazzi, J. Bouffard, H. F. Sleiman; “Self-Complementary ABC Triblock Copolymers via Ring-Opening Metathesis Polymerization”, Macromolecules, 2003, 36, 7899-7902.
- Rakotondradany, M. A. Whitehead, H. F. Sleiman; “Photoresponsive Supramolecular Systems: Self-Assembly of Azobenzoic Acid Linear Tapes and Cyclic Tetramers”, Chemistry, a European Journal, 2003, 9, 4771-4780.
- S. Bazzi, H. F. Sleiman; “Adenine-Containing Block Copolymers via Ring-Opening Metathesis Polymerization: Synthesis and Self-Assembly into Rod Morphologies”, Macromolecules, 2002, 9617-9620.
- Dalphond, H. Bazzi, K. Kahrim, H. F. Sleiman; “Synthesis and Self-Assembly of Polymers Containing Dicarboximide Groups by Living Ring-Opening Metathesis Polymerization”, Macromolecular Chem. Phys, 2002, 203, 1988-1994.
- Bazzi, H. F. Sleiman; “Synthesis and Self Assembly of Conjugated Polymer Precursors Containing Dichlorocarbonate Groups by Living Ring-Opening Metathesis Polymerization”, Macromolecules, 2002, 35, 624-629.
- Vargas-Baca, D. Mitra, H. Zulyniak, J. Banerjee, H. F. Sleiman; “Solid-Phase Synthesis of Transition Metal-Linked Branched Oligonucleotides”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl., 2001, 40, 4629-4632.
- N.W. Baxter, H. F. Sleiman, J.-M. Lehn and K. Rissanen; “Multicomponent Self-Assembly of -Pseudorotaxanes”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl., 1997, 36, 1294.
- F. Sleiman, P.N.W. Baxter, J.-M. Lehn and K. Airola and K. Rissanen; Multicomponent Self-Assembly: The Generation of Rigid-Rack Multimetallic Pseudorotaxanes, Inorg. Chem., 1997, 36, 4734.
- F. Sleiman, P.N.W. Baxter, J.-M. Lehn and K. Rissanen; “Self-Assembly of Rigid-Rack Multimetallic Complexes of Rotaxane Type”, Chem. Commun., 1995, 715.
- A. Arndtsen, H.F. Sleiman, L. McElwee-White and A. Rheingold; “Electrophilic Reactions of Zero-Valent Tungsten Nitrene and Hydrazido Complexes with Phosphines. Synthesis and Structure of cis-(CO)4WP(Ph)2CH2P(Ph)2NNMe2”, Organometallics, 1993, 12, 2440.
- T. Maxey, H.F. Sleiman and L. McElwee-White; “Metathesis and Diaziridination Reactions of (CO)5W=C(OMe)(p-XC6H4) with cis-Azobenzene. Electronic and Solvent Effects”, J. Am.. Chem. Soc. 1992, 114, 5153.
- A. Arndtsen, H.F. Sleiman, A.K. Chang and L. McElwee-White; “Evidence for Ambiphilic Behavior in (CO)5W=NPh. Conversion of Carbonyl Compounds to N-Phenyl Imines via Metathesis”, J. Am.. Chem. Soc., 1991, 113, 4871.
- F. Sleiman, B.A. Arndtsen and L. McElwee-White; “Direct Observation of the Low-Valent Hydrazido Complex (CO)5W=NNMe2, a Nitrene Analogue of the Heteroatom-Stabilized Fischer Carbenes”, Organometallics, 1991, 10, 541.
- F. Sleiman, S. Mercer and L. McElwee-White; “Trapping of the Low-Valent Nitrene Complex (CO)5W=NPh with PPh3. Formation of the Phenylnitrene Transfer Product PhN=PPh3”, J. Am.. Chem. Soc., 1989, 111, 8007.
- F. Sleiman and L. McElwee-White; “”Photochemical” Azo Metathesis by (CO)5W=C(OCH3)(CH3). Isolation of a Zwitterionic Intermediate”, J. Am.. Chem. Soc., 1988, 110, 8700.
- Report of Invention, “Sequence-Controlled and Monodisperse Polymers Conjugated to DNA”, Jan. 2014; US Provisional Patent Application, Dec. 2014, 61/940,657.
- US Provisional Patent Application, “Nucleotide Modular Assemblies and their Use as Delivery Devices (US 61 672 057) (2013)
- Sleiman, Hanadi; Chen, Bingzhi. Provisional Patent, “Polymeric Systems for Signal Amplification of Biomolecule Detection”, May 2005, 60/684,960; “Polymer compositions and uses thereof” PCT Int. Appl. (2006), 71pp. WO 2006130955; U.S. patent granted US 11,914,721
- Provisional Patent Application, “Dendritic DNA supermolecules”, August 2008
Ongoing Operating Grants
- Prostate Cancer Canada Movember Grant, 2013-2015, “Conditional siRNA delivery to prostate cancer cells using DNA cages”
- CHRP Grant, 2013-2015, (Sleiman, PI (50%), Panasci), “DNA Cages as a Platform for Efficient and Selective Delivery of Therapeutics into Tumor Cells”
- NSERC Discovery Grant 2013-2018, (Sleiman, 100%), , “Three-Dimensional DNA Nanostructures for Biological and Materials Applications”
- Canada Research Chair (Tier I), Operating Grant, 2013-2019, (Sleiman, 100%),
- CFI Leaders Opportunities IOF, 2010-pres., « DNA Nanochemistry Facility »
- QNRF National Priorities Research Project, 2012-2015, (Sleiman, co-PI, 40%, H. Bazzi) “Interfacing DNA Cages with Synthetic Polymers for Biological and Materials Applications”
- FQRNT Team Grant, 2013-2016, (Sleiman, PI, 33%, Perepichka, Cosa) « Conjugated nucleobase-containing polymers for organic electronics »
- FQRNT Team Grant, 2013-2016, (Mauzeroll, PI, Sleiman 33%, Canesi), « Biomarker detection with high amplification using electrochemiluminescent Nanospheres »
- FQRNT Team Grant, 2013-2016, (Grutter, PI, Sleiman 50%)“DNA guided templation of discrete nanoparticle assemblies for fundamental nano-electronic studies”
- NSERC CREATE Program in Bionanomachines, 2011-pres., Gehring, K. (PI), H. Sleiman (22 researchers from McGill, Concordia, U. Calgary, Laval U., U. Montreal, U. Saskatchewan, UQAM)
- CIHR Drug Development Training Program, 2010-pres., Pappadopoulos, V. (PI), H. Sleiman (39 researchers)
Recently Completed Grants:
- CIHR Operating Grant 2008-2012 (Sleiman, PI (40%), Moitessier, Autexier), “Supramolecular Complexes as G-Quadruplex Binders: Towards Effective telomerase Inhibition”
- NSERC Discovery Accelerator Award 2008-2012 (H. Sleiman), “Self-Assembly of DNA and Biologically Enabled Polymers”
- NSERC Discovery Grant 2008-2012 (H. Sleiman), “Self-Assembly of DNA and Biologically Enabled Polymers”
- FQRNT Team Grant, 2008-2012 (T. Szkopek, H. Sleiman (33%) and P. Grutter), “DNA-Mediated Construction of Nanoparticle Assemblies – Chemistry and Physics”
- CIHR/NSERC CHRP Grant 2008-2012(Sleiman, PI (33%), Juncker, Siegel, Park), “Microfluidic Detection System for Profiling Multiple Cancer Biomarkers with Ultrahigh Sensitivity/Specificity”
- QNRF National Priorities Reseach Project 2009-2012, (H. Sleiman (co-PI, 44%), H. Bazzi (PI), “Nucleic Acid-Templated Access to Fully Synthetic, DNA-Mimetic Polymers”
- William Dawson Scholar Award, McGill University 2004-2008, (Sleiman, 100%),
- Canadian Institute of Advanced Research, (Sleiman, 100%) 2005-2012, “Using DNA for Patterning Nanoelectronic Components”
- FQRNT Team Grant, 2006-2009, (Sleiman, PI (67%), Ritcey) , “Molecular recognition at Interfaces”
- Xerox Corporation, 2008-2011, (H. Sleiman, 100%), “DNA-Mimetic Polymers”
- QNRF National Priorities Reseach Project 2008-2011, H. Sleiman (co-PI, 44%), H. Bazzi (LPI), “Novel Biodetection Methods”
Research Equipment and Infrastructure: Recent Funding
- FQRNT Team Equipment Grant, 2013, Sleiman, 33%, Perepichka, Cosa, Upgrades to the AFM/STM/fluorescence microscopy facilities
- FQRNT Team Equipment Grant, 2013, Sleiman, 100%, Grutter (PI), HPLC facility
- NSERC Research Tools and Instruments Grant (2013), Sleiman, “DNA and Protein Imaging Unit”
- NSERC Research Tools and Instruments Grant (2011), Perepichka, PI, Sleiman, Rosei, Barrett “Scanning probe microscope to study molecular, biomolecular and polymer self-assembly”
- NSERC Research Tools and Instruments Grant (2011), Andrews, PI, Sleiman, Kambhampati, Hilke “Integrated Spectroscopy System”
- Canada Foundation for Innovation, Leaders Opportunity Fund (2009-2012), Sleiman, 100%, “DNA Nanochemistry Facility” (equipment and renovations)
- NSERC Research Tools and Instruments Grant (2009), Sleiman, 100%, “Automated DNA Synthesizer”
- FQRNT, Regroupement Strategique, (2002-2013), (L. Reven, PI, H. Sleiman and 26 researchers from McGill, U. Montreal, U. Sherbrooke, Concordia) “Centre for Self-Assembled Chemical Structures”
Supervision of Research Students and Postdoctoral Fellows.
Current Graduate and Undergraduate Students
Current Graduate Students
- Nicole Avakyan, Ph. D. candidate, (2011-pres.)
- Janane Rahbani, Ph. D. candidate (2012-pres.)
- Pongphak Chidchob, Ph. D. candidate (2013-pres.)
- Danny Bousmail, Ph. D. candidate (2013-pres.)
- Aurelie Lacroix, Ph. D. candidate, (2014-pres.)
- Donatien de Rochambeau, Ph. D. candidate, (2014-pres.)
- Michael Dore, Ph. D. candidate (2015-pres)
- Tuan Trinh, Ph. D. candidate (2015-pres.)
- Casey Platnich, Ph. D. candidate, (2015-pres.) (co-supervised with Prof. G. Cosa)
- Alexander Prinzen, Ph. D. candidate, (2015-pres.)
- Xin Luo, Ph. D. candidate, (2015-pres.)
- John Hsu, M.Sc. candidate (2016-pres.)
- Hassan Fakih, Ph.D. candidate (2016-pres.)
- Daniel Saliba,Ph. D. candidate (2016-pres.)
- Kamila Mustafina,Ph. D. candidate (2016-pres.) (co-supervised with Prof. P. Wiseman)
Current Postdoctoral Fellows
- Johans Fakhoury (June 2010 – present) (QNRF and CHRP grants)
- Mohammad Askari (September 2015-present) (NSERC postdoctoral fellowship)
- Empar Vengut Climent (January 2016-present) (Fundación Martín Escudero)
- Amine Garci (January 2016-present) (Swiss National Science Foundation)
Current Undergraduate Student:
- Yuanye Sun, 2016-pres.
- Sanchit Gupta, 2017-pres.
Current visiting graduate student
Sonia Romero, PhD student from Madrid with Prof. D. Gonzalez
Former Graduate Students
- Katherine Bujold, PhD. candidate, (2011-2017), “Development of Optimized DNA Nanostructure Designs towards Biological Applications”; currently Postdoctoral fellow with Prof. Chad Mirkin, Northwestern University.
- Kai Lin Lau, PhD. (2010-2017) “Gold-Nanoparticle DNA Assemblies”, currently postdoctoral position in Singapore (Nanyang Technological University with Prof. Nam Joon Cho).
- Alex Rousina-Webb, MSc. candidate, (2014-pres.) “Metal-DNA Structures”, will start a position at Xerox Canada
- Amani Hariri, D. candidate (2010-2016) “Advancing DNA nanotechnology using single molecule fluorescence methodologies’ (joint with Prof. Gonzalo Cosa) Current position: Postdoctoral Fellow at Stanford University (with Prof. Tom Soh)
- Justin Conway, D. (2009-2015) “Interfacing DNA Nanotechnology with Biological Systems: Increasing Stability, Bilayer Interactions, and Therapeutic Applications”, Current position: Research Scientist at IntelgenX, Montreal
- Thomas Edwardson, D. candidate (2010-2015) “DNA Cages and Sequence-Controlled Polymers”, Current Position: Postdoctoral researcher, ETH, Zurich, Switzerland (Donald Hilvert)
- Alan Blayney, M. Sc., (2010-2012), “DNA-Mimetic Conjugated Polymers”, co-supervised with Prof. D. Perepichka, Current position: medical student at SUNY.
- Graham Hamblin, Ph.D. (2008-2014): “Practical designs for DNA nanostructures: balancing minimal design and structural complexity”, Vanier scholar, NSERC PGSD, Tomlinson fellow. Ambridge and Winkler awardee. Current Position: Principal Scientist, Grifols USA, NSERC postdoctoral fellow in California Institute of Technology (with D. Tirrell)
- Katherine Castor, Ph.D. (2008-2014) “Design and Synthesis of G-Quadruplex Binders”.Current Position: Staff Chemist at California Department of Toxic Substances Control
- Andrea Greshner, D. (2008-2014): “Effect of Synthetic Molecules on DNA Assembly”, Current Position: FQRNT postdoctoral fellow at INRS Varennes with Prof. M. A. Gauthier.
- Karina Carneiro, Ph.D. (2006-2012): ““DNA-macromolecule conjugates: Synthesis and hierarchical self-assembly” Current Position: Assistant Professor at University of Toronto, Faculty of Dentistry, 2016-. Previously NSERC postdoctoral fellow at UCSF with Prof. S. Habelitz
- Christopher McLaughlin, Ph.D. (2006-2012), Assembly of 3D DNA Architectures: Towards Minimal Design and Maximal Function” Current Position: Scientist at Moderna Therapeutics, previous: NSERC postdoctoral fellow with Prof. Molly Shoichet at U. Toronto.
- Peggy Lo, Ph.D. (2006-2010) “Supramolecular DNA Chemistry: Assembly of DNA Nanotubes and Templated Synthesis of DNA-Mimetic Polymers” Current Position: Assistant Professor, City University of Hong Kong (formerly a Postdoctoral Fellow at Harvard University (with Prof. Hongkun Park))
- Hua Yang, Ph. D. (2003-2009), “Template synthesis of metal-modified DNA complexes and applications in the construction of two-and three-dimensional metal-DNA nanostructures” Current Position: Lab Manager and R&D Support Chemist at TRIUMF (Canada’s National Lab for Particle and Nuclear Physics)
- Roxanne Kieltyka, Ph. D. (2003-2009), “Platinum Complexes for G-Quadruplex Recognition and Nanomaterials Organization” Current Position: Assistant Professor, University of Leiden, Netherlands (2013)( Formely: Postdoctoral Fellow, Eindhoven University, Netherlands, (with Prof. E. W. Meijer ))
- Faisal Aldaye, Ph. D. (2002-2008), “Supramolecular DNA Nanotechnology: Discrete Nanoparticle Organization, Three-Dimensional DNA Construction and Molecule-Templated DNA Assembly” Current Position: Medical student, U. of Sydney Med. School. (Formerly: NSERC Postdoctoral Fellow, Harvard Medical School (with Prof. Pamela Silver)).
- Kim Metera, Ph. D. candidate (2002-2008), “Self-Assembly, Luminescence Properties and Excited State Interactions of Block Copolymers that Contain Ruthenium tris(Bipyridine)” Current position: Research Associate, McGill University (S. Leslie group).
- Mohamed Slim, Ph. D. (2001-2008, has defended and needs to submit thesis corrections), “Ruthenium Bipyridine Complexes for Protein Binding and DNA Nanotechnology” First position: Postdoctoral Fellow, Montreal Jewish Hospital (with Prof. E. Schirrmacher).
- Rachel Nassif, M. Sc. (2005-2008) First position: Scientist at l’Oreal, Montreal, Canada. “Design and Optimization of Polymer Nanostructures for Signal Amplification of Biomolecule Detection”
- Yoshihiro Ishihara, M. Sc. (2005-2007) “DNA-Inspired Materials for ‘Bottom-Up’ Nanotechnology” Current position: Senior Staff Scientist, Scripps Institute, San Diego; formerly Ph.D. student with Prof. Phil Baran (Scripps).
- Debbie Mitra, Ph. D. (2001-2007, co-supervised with M. Damha) Current Position: Research Associate, Eye Institute, University of Ottawa formerly postdoctoral associate, University of Ottawa (with Prof. Deryn Fogg) “Branched Oligonucleotides for Biological and Nanotechnology Applications”
- Alison Palmer, M.Sc. (2004-2006) Current position: Managing Director, CAREX Canada “Novel Nucleoside Analogs with Supramolecular and Biological Applications”
- Hassan Bazzi, Ph.D. (1998-2003) Current Position: Professor and Assistant Dean, Texas A&M University, Qatar. “Synthesis and Self-Assembly of Conjugated and Biomimetic Polymers and Block Copoplymers via Ring-Opening Metathesis Polymerization”
- Felaniaina Rakotondradany, Ph.D. (1998-2003, co –supervised with Prof. M. A. Whitehead) First Position: Postdoctoral Fellow, Prof. Murray Gray at the University of Alberta. Current Position: Science writer and editor. “Theoretical and Experimental Investigations of Photoresponsive and Biomimetic Supramolecular Materials”
- Jake Dalphond, M. Sc. (2000-2002) Position: Research Scientist at Camoplast Solideal, QC, Canada. “Synthesis and Self-Assembly of Polymers Containing Dicarboximide Groups by Living Ring-Opening Metathesis Polymerization”
- Michel Paradis, M. Sc. (1998-2000) First Position: Research Scientist at Ratiopharm, Montreal, Canada “Platinum Complexes as DNA Intercalators”
Former Visiting Graduate Students:
- Ryo Ohtani, visiting Ph.D. student from Kyoto University (working with Prof. S. Kitagawa), June-July 2012
- Dowine De Bruijn, visiting graduate student from Groningen University, Netherlands (July -December 2010) “Metal-DNA Nanostructures” (6 month internship)
- Petra Bouten, visiting graduate student from Nijmejen University, Netherlands (Feb -Aug. 2010) “Protein-Coated DNA Cages” – Currently graduate student, Nijmejen U.
- Jing Wang, visiting graduate student from Yale University, USA, “Vesicle Budding with DNA Cages” (collaboration with Prof. James Rothman at Yale University)
Former Postdoctoral Fellows:
- Christopher Serpell (2011 –2014): “Interfacing DNA Nanostructures with Synthetic Polymers for Biological and Materials Applications” (Banting Postdoctoral Fellow), currently: postdoctoral fellow at Oxford University.
- Andrea Greshner, (2014): DNA assembly via the Vernier mechanism; currently: postdoctoral fellow at INRS Varennes.
- Karina Carneiro (2013- 2014): Sequence Controlled Polymer-DNA Conjugates via solid-phase synthesis (CHRP and FQRNT), currently postdoctoral fellow at U. California, San Francisco.
- Chris McLaughlin, (2012- 2013): “Functional 3D-DNA Nanostructures-Biological Applications”, currently postdoc at the U. Toronto (with M. Shoichet)
- Ilton Daltro (2011 –2013): “DNA-Mimetic Polymers” (postdoctoral Fellowship, Brazil), currently group leader at the Max Planck Intitute für Kohlenforschung in Mulheim (with the team of Dr. Ferdi Schüth).
- Anita Leitgeb (2012-2013): “Interfacing DNA Nanostructures with Hydrophobic Polymers” (postdoctoral fellowship, Austrian Chemical Society), currently finishing the second part of her postdoctoral fellowship in Austria.
- Manoj Nayak (2009-pres.) visiting joint postdoctoral fellow from Texas A&M University in Qatar (2 months/year); currently Assistant Professor and Senior Scientist at the CSIR-Chandigarh.
- Fiora Rosati (Sept. 2011-2013): “Metal-DNA Nanostructures” (Canadian Government Fellowship)
- Kevin Haenni (May 2010-present): “Biologically enabled ROMP polymers” (postdoctoral fellow, Swiss National Foundation) Current Position: Lecturer, Morges, Switzerland
- Andrzej Rys (2007-2010): Ruthenium bipyridine block copolymer micelles for biomolecule detection.
- Yongqiang Wen (2008-2009) Gold nanoparticle DNA assemblies, Current Position: Associate Professor, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing China
- N. Sankaran, Postdoctoral fellow (2006-2007): “ DNA Detection Using Luminescent Polymers, Current Position: Senior Scientist, General Electric, Bangalore, India
- Bingzhi Chen, Postdoctoral Fellow (2003-2005): “Functional ROMP Polymers” Current Position: Senior Scientist, General Electric, New York
- Nicolas Di Cesare, Postdoctoral Fellow (2002-2003) “Self-Assembly of DNA Nanostructures” Current Position: Scientist, Research and Development Center, Cascades Inc., Quebec
- Ignacio Vargas-Baca, Postdoctoral Fellow (1998-2000): “Transition Metal-Linked Oligonucleotides”, Current Position: Associate Professor, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
Former Visiting Professor:
Ali Rezvani, Visiting Professor, (2002-2003) “Ruthenium containing Conjugated Polymers”, Current Position: Associate Professor, Sistan and Balouchestan University, Iran
Former Undergraduate Theses and Visiting Research Students:
- Isa Benitez (1999): then PhD student U. Florida
- Jessamine Ng (1999): Finished Ph. D. with Whitesides (Harvard) and is a patent lawyer (New York)
- Sylvie Asselin (1999, NSERC USRA): then Ph. D. student, U. Pennsylvania
- Ghislaine Bailey (1999, NSERC USRA): Finished PhD with Swager (MIT), scientist at Nova Chemicals
- Kenza Kahrim (2000, NSERC USRA): Art Restoration, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
- Philippe Violette (2000,2001), NSERC USRA: Medical degree, McGill University (Urologist)
- Jay Banerjee (2001): then Medical student, University of Western Ontario
- Emily Rochette (2001, NSERC USRA)
- Jean Bouffard (2002): finished Ph. D. at MIT; currently assistant prof. in S. Korea
- Hisham Khalil (2002, NSERC USRA): currently Medical student, University of Western Ontario
- Vincent Lemieux (2003, NSERC USRA): Ph. D. student, Simon Fraser University, postdoc Nijmejen
- Anne Wawrezinieck (2004) currently postdoctoral fellow, U. Nijmejen, Netherlands
- Francois Godin (2003, NSERC USRA, currently PhD student, IRCM Montreal
- Yoshi Ishihara (2004), NSERC USRA, currently PhD student at Scripps Institute, San Diego, CA
- Alexander Wong (2005), CSACS scholarship, currently medical student UBC
- Lucas Lecours (2006), NSERC USRA, currently PhD student U. Toronto
- Tanit Haddad (2006), NSERC USRA, currently undergraduate McGill
- Marie-Christine Dorais (2007), CSACS student, currently undergraduate at U. Laval
- Helen Huang-Hobbs (2008), currently PhD student UBC
- Cheen Euong Ang, (2009) SURA and CSACS scholarships, summer Honor’s research project in collaboration with Prof. C. Barrett, “Photoresponsive DNA nanostructures”
- Nicole Avakyan, “G-Quadruplex Binders as Antitumor Therapeutics”, Summers 2010 and 2011 (NSERC USRA fellowships).
- Katherine Bujold, “DNA Nanotubes with Moving Parts”, Summers 2010 and 2011 (McGill SURA, CSACS and NSERC USRA fellowships).
- Janet Belliveau, “Encapsulation of Enzymes in DNA Nanotubes”, Summer 2010 (CSACS fellowship).
- Alan Blayney, “DNA-Mimetic Conjugated Polymers”, Summer 2011 (joint with D. Perepichka)
- Janet McMillan, “Hydrophobic Dendrons on DNA Nanotubes and SERS of Gold Nanoparticle Dimers”, Summers 2013 and 2014, NSERC USRA.
- Adrienne Gallant Lanctot, Honors pharmacology, (2013-2014 research project), “DNA cages for BCL2 and Ku86 gene silencing”.
- John Hsu, “Dynamic DNA cages and DNA-polymer self-assembly), Summer 2014, CREATE Bionanomachines fellowship.
Former Visiting Undergraduate Students:
- Claire Rannoux (2007), CSACS exchange student, currently PhD student Universite Polytechnique, Paris
- Adrienne Langille (2008), NSERC USRA, exchange student from U. New Brunswick, currently PhD student at McGill Chemistry.
- Michael Hell, visiting student from Technical University Munich (2008-2009) “Expanding the DNA Assembly Code with Novel Nucleosides”, currently working at ETH Zurich.
- Florian Altvater, visiting graduate student from U. Freiburg (March 2009-March 2010) “Metal-DNA Construction”- Currently, graduate student UC Berkeley.
- Faisal Aldaye. (a) NSERC Doctoral Prize, 2010; (b) Winkler Award for Best Chemistry Ph.D. thesis, McGill, 2009, (c) Governor’s Medal for best PhD Thesis, McGill University, (d) IUPAC Young Chemist Prize, 2009 (international); (e) Principal’s Prize for Excellence in Research (f) NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship (g) Udho Parsini Diwan Prize for best paper published in the McGill Chem. Dept in 2006 (h) Macromolecular Science and Engineering Division of the CSC Prize for Best Graduate Ph.D. Work, 2007 (across Canada) (i) Trends in Nanotechnology Conference poster award, Spain, Sept. 2007, (j) Pall Dissertation Award, 2006; (k) CSC Conf. Award, 2006; (l) Sterry Hunt Award,2006; (m) McFee award for excellence in research, 2004-5 and 2005-6; (n) Zamboni award for excellence in research, 2005 and 2006.
- Nicole Avakyan. (a) NSERC CGS-M, 2011, (b) FQRNT fellowship 2012, (c) NSERC Doctoral fellowship, 2013-2015, (d) First place, Poster presentation, CSACS student symposium Sept. 2013.
- Hassan Bazzi. (a) D. Degree with Dean’s Honor List, 2003, (b) Ambridge Award for Best Ph.D. Thesis in Physical Sciences at McGill, 2004, (c) Winkler Award for Best Chemistry Ph.D. thesis, McGill, 2004, (d) ADESAQ Prize for best doctoral dissertation in natural sciences and engineering in Quebec, 2004, (e) NSERC Postdoctoral Industrial Research Fellowship, 2003-2004, (f) MSED Prize for Best Graduate Ph.D. Work, 2003, (g) Robert Zamboni Prize for Excellence in Research, McGill University, 2002
- Jean Bouffard: (a) Pfizer Summer Research Award in Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Honors research, “DNA-Mimetic Polymers”, 2002, (b) Anachemia Prize for Best Honors Thesis Research, McGill University, 2002
- Danny Bousmail: NSERC CREATE Bionanomachines fellowship, 2014-2015.
- Katherine Bujold: (a) NSERC CGS-M, 2011, (b) FQRNT fellowship 2012, (c) NSERC Doctoral fellowship, 2013-2015, (d) Second place, Poster presentation, CSACS student symposium Sept. 2013.
- Karina Carneiro: (a) Best Poster Presentation Award, CSACS Meeting, Sherbrooke 2009; (b) Sterry Hunt teaching award 2009 (c) American Chemical Society AkzoNobel Science Award Finalist, ACS meeting, 2012.
- Katherine Castor, CIHR Chemical Biology Scholarship, 2009-2010; CIHR Drug Training Scholarship, 2010-2011 and 2011-2012.
- Pongphak Chidchob: (a) David Noble Harpp Fellowship, 2014, (b) NSERC-CREATE Bionanomachines fellowship, 2014-2015.
- Jake Dalphond: (a) MDS Pharma Prize for Best Organic poster, Graduate Research Conference, Concordia University, 2001; (b) Best in Show Poster Award, Inorganic Discussion Weekend, University of Waterloo, 2001
- Ilton Daltro: Postdoctoral fellowship, Government of Brazil, 2011-2013.
- Tom Edwardson: (a) CIHR Drug Training Scholarship, 2011-2012, 2012-2013, (b) CIHR DDTP poster prize, 2012. (c) 2nd Prize for Best Talk, CSACS student symposium, Sept. 2013.(d) MSED-LANXESS Prize for best PhD work in Polymer Chemistry (2014). (e) Pall Dissertation Award, 2014.
- Johans Fakhoury: CIHR Drug Training Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2010-2011 and 2011-2012.
- Andrea Greschner: (a) CSC Best talk award in Biological Chemistry division, 2011; (b) FQRNT fellowship, 2011-2012. (c) GREAT Award 2012. (d) FQRNT Chercheur-Etoile, 2012. (e) Manuscript selected by Faculty of 1000 Prime Biology.
- Graham Hamblin, (a) Vanier Fellowship, 2010-2013; (b) NSERC CGS-M fellowship 2009-10; (c) Tomlinson graduate scholarship, 2008-09; (c) NSERC postdoctoral fellowship at Caltech, 2014-2016. (d) Ambridge award for best PhD thesis in Physical Sciences at McGill, 2014; (d) Winkler award for best PhD thesis in Chemistry at McGill, 2014.
- Kevin Haenni, Swiss National Foundation postdoctoral fellowship (2010-2012)
- Yoshihiro Ishihara, (a) NSERC Postgraduate Fellowship (PGSA), 2005-2007
- Lucas Lecours – Merck summer research fellowship
- Peggy Lo: (a) Macromolecular Science and Engineering Division of the CSC Prize for Best Graduate Ph.D. Work, 2007 (across Canada) (b) CIHR Chemical Biology Ph.D. Scholarship, 2007-2008, and 2008-2009
- Chris McLaughlin: CIHR Chemical Biology Ph.D. Scholarship, 2008-2009; 2. Bill and Christina Chan Fellowship in Chemistry for research excellence; 3. Sterry Hunt teaching award 2008; GREAT award 2012. 4. NSERC postdoctoral fellowship at U. Toronto, 2013-2015.
- Kim Metera: (a) MSED/LANXESS Award for best polymer presentation at the CSC Meeting 2008; (b) Robert Zamboni award for research excellence 2008; (c) best talk, CSACS student symposium (2007) (d) McConnell graduate Ph.D. fellowship 2006-2007 (e) NSERC Postgraduate Fellowship 2002-2005, (f) CSC Prize for Best PosterPresentation, 87th Canadian Chemistry Conference and Exhibition, May 2004, London, Ontario; (g) CSC Materials Division Award for Best Poster Presentation, 88th Canadian Chemistry Conference, May 2006, Halifax, NS
- Debbie Mitra: (a) CIHR Chemical Biology Scholarship,2002-2003, (b) First Prize for Best Graduate Talk, 2001 Symposium Annuel de Chimie Inorganique au Quebec (SACIQ), Sherbrooke, Quebec
- Alison Palmer – CIHR Chemical Biology Scholarship, 2004-2005
- Michel Paradis – M. Sc. Degree with Dean’s Honor List, 2000
- Janane Rahbani: (a) DDTP fellowship 2012-2013, (b) NSERC CREATE Bionanomachines fellowship 2013-2014
- Fiora Rosati: Canadian Government Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2011-2012
- Chris Serpell – Tomlinson Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2011-2013, Banting Postdoctoral fellowship, 2012-2014;
- Mohamed Slim – CIHR Chemical Biology Scholarship, 2003-2004
- Yongqiang Wen – CIFAR Junior Fellowship, 2009-2011
- Hua Yang: Robert Zamboni award for research excellence 2008.